Saturday, October 29, 2011

Keeping the Faith

For the last few years, Aaron has been working towards his lifelong dream of becoming a fire fighter.  It has been a long, sometimes frustrating and most of the time stressful process for us both, especially Aaron. 
Two weeks ago, he found out that his dream will be coming true soon :)  He will be a Dallas Fire Fighter in a few months!  I honestly could not be more proud of my amazing husband.  He has shown so much patience and faith throughout this whole process.  As many of you know, job hunting is a VERY frustrating ordeal.  I cried quite a bit during my summer of job searching here in the Dallas area for my teaching job.  He has been so optimistic and positive the whole time.  I know that this all comes from his wonderful family though.  They were all completely supportive of him this whole time and a GREAT group of prayer warriors.  I know they all did their part in praying and asking their friends to pray as well. 
Trusting in God's plan can be a hard thing to do sometimes.  Especially when it is not quite going at the speed I would like for it to :)  Aaron started testing to get on with different departments about 2 years ago.  It is a very tough field to be getting a job in now.  Most departments were only hiring 5-10 guys at a time and more than 500 would show up for the tests.  Needless to say, it can get discouraging.  If Aaron ever felt discouraged though, he didn't show it. 
When Dallas finally posted that they would be doing their test back in March (seriously, could they have drawn it out any longer?), we couldn't have been more excited.  Dallas was Aaron's dream city to have his dream job in.  He wants to be downtown, in all the action.  He went and took the test (along with 2500 other guys) and a week later, found out that he passed and qualified to move on to the physical agility portion of the test.  They took forever to call and schedule his physical, but they finally did and he of course rocked it :)  Again, much later, they called to tell him that he moved on to the polygraph test round.  He completed that and I assume did well since he was then called back for the interviews.  At this point, we knew his chances were pretty good.  Dallas had announced that they would be hiring 200 new guys.  They were only interviewing about 300.  If you remember, I wrote a blog about 2 months ago requesting prayers for 8:30 on a Friday morning.  This would be the exact time Aaron was interviewing.  We talked that afternoon and he said he thought it had gone well.  Of course, he was not told anything other than that he would be hearing from them.  Thus ensued a LONG period of waiting.  It became especially hard when he heard that others were starting to get their calls.  Finally, 2 Wednesdays ago, I got a text message from my sweet husband introducing me to Dallas' newest fire fighter!  It was one of the happiest feelings I have had. 
I was at school and told my class about it.  They were all SO excited to hear the good news too.  That Friday, their writing assignment was to write a congratulatory letter to Aaron.  We brainstormed all the things you might tell someone when something good has happened.  They did a great job and when I delivered them to Aaron, he loved them!  I even made a big poster and had all the kids sign their names to it :)  So cute!
Back to God's plan...I guess I learned my lesson on timing.  If you can just be patient, it WILL happen.  In his time :)  I wouldn't change a single thing though.  I have the happiest husband alive.  Which makes me one happy wife!

1 comment:

  1. SO happy for Aaron! (and YOU). I know this was a stressful time and I'm just so happy all of his very hard work has payed off!

    ReplyDelete